What We Require From You
- All of our German Shepherds are adopted to homes where they will be treated as a pet and companion.
- The adopter must be between the ages of 25 and 70 inclusive.
- If you rent, please make sure that your landlord allows large breed dogs to live in the apartment complex or home.
- We require adopters to attend professional obedience training with their adopted dog.
- Our adoption fees are as follows:
$350 for puppies up to 1 year old
$300 for a dog from 1 to 6 years
$150 for a dog 7 years or older
- We require a $150 refundable spay/neuter deposit for any dog that is adopted but has not been fixed.
What to Expect From Us
- GSGSR Foster Dogs come from shelters throughout New Jersey or from owners who have surrendered their dog to us.
- Before entering our program our dogs must pass a temperament evaluation. We do not accept dogs with poor temperaments or known bite histories.
- All GSGSR dogs are fully vetted and up to date on required vaccinations. Additionally, we provide whatever medical attention is required for our dogs.
- Unless there is a medical reason or the dogs are still puppies, all GSGSR Foster Dogs are either spay or neutered. Occasionally, we may adopt out a dog on a spay/neuter contract.
- We offer an owner referral service so you can adopt directly from the owner. GSGSR evaluates these dogs for temperament and we put forth a best faith effort to evaluate the health of the dog.
- Visit our owner referral program page for more details about the differences between adopting a foster dog and an owner referral dog.
- At this time we are processing applications in New Jersey, Staten Island, and along the border of New Jersey. If you live more than 30 minutes from a NJ border, we can provide you with a list of alternative rescue organizations. We do not adopt to Connecticut at this time, but feel free to contact us to see if we have capacity to adopt to your area.
The Adoption Process
- File an application
- Vet and reference checks
- Phone interview
- Home visit
Our goal during this process is to provide you with the best possible companion based on our knowledge of our dogs and your family and home environment. For instance, we want to make sure that if you have young children that we are bringing in only dogs that have had experience or exposure to young children.
Please note that an application does not lock you into adopting nor does it guarantee that the adoption will proceed. If as an applicant you are interested in a particular dog we do our best to accommodate you, however, because of timing, there may be another applicant ahead of you that is an appropriate match for the same dog. Please note that our dogs are either in foster homes or still with their current owner, so in order to be respectful of time, we do not schedule a meet and greet with any dog prior to approval of your application.